Sunday 20 January 2008

A walk in the neighborhood, with camera


We had that rare phenomenon today: A sparkling blue winter day. I have been so indoorsy that I am getting prison pallor, so today we headed out, new digital camera and all.
The first picture shows what it looks like a few feet from the front steps, at the top of the driveway.

When the camera arrived we, meaning my Old Dutch and I, started to peruse the printed manual that came with it. Our son mocked us for being so totally twentieth century!
A true native of the digital age, Alex informed us, checks to see if there is a big red button warning of potential nuclear explosions, and in the absence of such a button turns on the device and learns by looking at the menus and just playing with the buttons.


Sounded good to me, so I merrily hit buttons and twisted dials to see what would happen. Alas, people born in 1943 should not pretend to be digital natives. Somewhere along there the camera got into Movie mode. Some nice pictures are interspersed with wildly swinging footage of my own feet crunching through the snow, accompanied by snortings and mumblings.
The second picture shows the road below us, with Saddle Mountain. Half the businesses in town are named either Saddle or Arrow something.
We used to see the big field to the left from our place, but there are too many trees in the way now. Our land is sloping up from this road to the right out of sight in this picture.

I had a bunch of other pictures to show the neighborhood, but I also had a pixel setting too high, and each one is about 3 mb and takes over half an hour to upload. So for now this will have to do.
Yes, I do know how lucky we are, and give thanks daily. To Whom it may concern.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments have been set to anyone, un-moderated, and no captcha. So if you were here, wave to me? Spammers will be deleted and acquire bad karma to boot.